Spending more time at home in recent months has meant more time experimenting with new recipes and cooking with foods I usually ignore. The aubergine, or eggplant, is one such food.
I’ve never been sure if I liked aubergine in the past. I’ve tried it grilled on a barbecue, stuffed with cheese and vegetables, in ratatouille and, of course, in moussaka. But it was always just okay and never something I went out of my way to eat.
That was until I stumbled across a recipe for aubergine dip and, as another lockdown afternoon lay ahead, decided to step out of my comfort zone and give aubergine another chance.
The result was a fresh, delicious dip – perfect for snacking with homemade tortillas alongside a glass of chilled white wine in the garden.
Plus, as lockdown gradually eases and socially distanced picnics start up, this dip can also be packed up in a container and enjoyed in the great outdoors with some tortilla chips or vegetable sticks for dipping.
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
For the dip:
25g feta cheese
1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped or crushed
½ lemon squeezed for the juice
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp of salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tortillas:
125g white flour
5-6 tbsp water
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
- Start by preheating the oven to 180°C. When the oven is ready, pierce the aubergine a couple of times with a knife and place it whole on a baking tray in the oven. Cook for approximately 40 minutes or until the skin is blackened and collapsing. Leave to cool.
- While the aubergine is cooking, mix the remaining dip ingredients together in a bowl then place in the fridge.
- Once the aubergine has cooled, cut in half and scoop out the insides into a food processor with the other dip ingredients to blitz together.
- Taste the dip and adjust the seasoning if needed. Once ready, place in a bowl in the fridge.
- For the tortillas, mix all ingredients together in a bowl and knead for five minutes before dividing the mixture into four balls to be rolled out with a rolling pin.
- Grab a frying pan and set on a medium heat then place each tortilla in the pan for about 25 seconds on each side. Leave to cool then cut into triangles and serve with the dip. A side of white wine is optional.
On a final note, this dip can be made without feta cheese to make it vegan or it can be spiced up with some fresh chillies, depending on your tastes. Feel free to experiment with it.